Telford Building Survey Expertise
Record Associates are a firm of Chartered Building Surveyors with offices in Telford and Shrewsbury who regularly undertake Commercial and Residential Building Surveys across Shropshire, Mid Wales, the West Midlands and further afield.
Why Commission a Commercial Building Survey?
Buying a commercial property is a major financial commitment for you or your company so it is fundamental that you commission a Building Survey to provide a guarantee that there are no hidden issues prior to exchange of contracts. Advice such as this is often money well spent and can pay for itself many times over. At the very least it is peace of mind.
However the necessity to commission a Building Survey should not be constrained to freehold acquisitions. The acquisition of leasehold accommodation also carries many risks and issues so it is vitally important that you are fully aware of any conditions of the property and your associated repair and service charge liabilities whilst under the lease.
A building survey is a means to ascertain what major items of disrepair are there?, is any sinking fund arrangement in place, is there a planned preventative maintenance programme on which service charge contributions are structured, what are the tenants dilapidations liabilities and are these significant. From a future landlords perspective it is also vital to ensure that tenant’s repair liabilities have not been carved out. This is commonplace with shorter leases especially where a property may be carrying significant repair liabilities as incoming tenants do not want to take any responsibility for ‘ backlog maintenance’
For future Landlords the building survey is therefore a stepping stone to getting one’s house in order and creating an environment which makes the property as attractive as possible to any future tenants and reduce one’s ownership risks. For tenants, its about reducing one’s occupancy risks and making decisions based on 20/20 visibility.
Why Commission a Residential Building Survey?
Buying a house or flat is likely to be one of the most expensive purchases of your life so it is vital that you commission a Building Survey to provide absolute assurance that there are no hidden issues prior to exchange of contracts.
Record Associates can provide both the RICS Homebuyer Report or the more detailed Building Survey, which is often referred to as a ‘Structural Survey’.
The RICS Homebuyer Report is typically used where a detailed assessment is not required, the property is relatively modern, is of standard construction and no significant interior alterations have been carried out nor planned.
For further information on which Building Survey to commission then look no further than our illustrative guide – Which Survey above.
In addition to any building survey we can provide a range of additional services including:
- Market valuations
- Building reinstatement costs for insurance purposes
- Repair costs
- Property development, building and construction advice
- Planning, listed building, conservation area and building regulations consent applications
- Development monitoring
- Design and Project Management
Why Choose Record Associates?
We firmly believe that our services offer excellent value for money for the following reasons:
- All Building Surveys are Director led with over 15 yrs experience in practice
- We are an independent practice offering the full range of Building Surveys from small modern properties to large listed period properties (>£1m)
- Competitive pricing
- Your Building Survey would be undertaken by a Chartered Building Surveyor
- We understand the need for a fast turnaround ensuring the Building Survey due diligence associated with the acquisition doesn’t hold up any key decision making or the purchase programme – Typically we will provide an oral report immediately after the survey and a written report within one week of the inspection
- We provide a personal approach focused on providing assurance & guidance to clients
- All our Building Surveys are written in Plain English with a concise Key Issues Summary focusing in on the key elements with pragmatic advice on way forward
- Up to £2m Professional Indemnity Insurance and
- All our building survey reports are provided electronically (as a PDF)
We can also assist you with any plans you may have for the adaptation of the property including advice on the property development issues, the steps in the process, costs, timescales and the appointment of other advisors which we can either facilitate or if required appoint directly and offer a turn key service. Please visit our Track Records for details on some of the commissions we have undertaken.
The full range of services offered by Record Associates are detailed below:
- Building Surveys
- Condition Surveys & Schedules of Condition
- Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Defects Diagnosis & Repair
- Dilapidations Consultancy
- Architectural Design
- Due Diligence & Assurance
- Development Monitoring
- Technical Advice
- Project & Programme Management
- Contract Administration / Employers Agent
- Strategic Property Advice
If you would like to discuss your situation, Ask the Expert about a specific enquiry or obtain a quotation then please Contact Us and we would be delighted to assist.