Telford Dilapidations Consultancy
In theory, negotiating a dilapidations claim should be simple: inspect the damaged property; agree the cost of building repairs; then do the works or pay the landlord the cost. In practice, this is rarely the case.
The process of determining dilapidations liabilities is often complex due to the diverse nature of buildings, the lack of record information about the condition of the premises at the start of the lease, the difficulty of interpreting the lease itself and differing opinion on what constitutes an acceptable repair.
Record Associates are experienced in this field and are able to act on behalf of both Landlords and Tenants in providing a range of dilapidations advice including:
Dilapidations Advice – For Landlord
- Assessing dilapidations liability
- Preparing interim schedules of dilapidations to protect the asset and avoid issues around s18 (diminution in value)
- Preparing terminal schedules of dilapidations
- Preparation of costings including procuring prices for works
- Negotiation of settlement with Tenant’s surveyor
- Monitoring of any reinstatement works undertaken by tenant and
- Project Management of repairs & reinstatement works on termination of lease
Dilapidations Advice – For Tenant
- Undertaking a Building Survey or Pre-acquisition Survey
- Advising on dilapidations liability prior to lease commencement
- Agreeing Schedules of Condition prior to lease commencement
- Advising on fit out works so dilapidations liability is minimised
- Assessment of dilapidations liability for accounts purposes
- Advising on liability & strategy in lead up to break / lease termination
- Negotiation of settlement with Landlord’s surveyor and
- Project Management of repairs and reinstatement works prior to lease termination.
For further reading on the subject area then look no further than the RICS’ Dilapidations guidance note, 6th edition.
The full range of services offered by Record Associates are detailed below:
- Building Surveys
- Condition Surveys & Schedules of Condition
- Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Defects Diagnosis & Repair
- Dilapidations Consultancy
- Architectural Design
- Due Diligence & Assurance
- Development Monitoring
- Technical Advice
- Project & Programme Management
- Contract Administration / Employers Agent
- Strategic Property Advice
If you would like to discuss your situation, Ask the Expert about a specific enquiry or obtain a quotation then please Contact Us and we would be delighted to assist.